Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Back to Work

Faina is back at work. She was warmly greeted by her colleagues with flowers, cake and cards. She is feeling comfortable with a syringe and a drill in her hands and is thrilled to be back in the frenzy of a busy office.

We are in an uncomfortable anniversary zone. It was on April 6, 2009 that an endoscopy discovered a growth and on April 13th that we got word that it was cancer. All of this was woven into Pesach, Hag HaHeruteinu, the Festival of Our Liberation. My hopes are that this coming year will be one of liberation from this insideous disease.

As I sat in shul on Shabbat, the reading of Shir HaShirim led me to reflect on Faina.
Arise, my beloved, my fair one, and come away.
For behold, the winter has passed; the rain is over and gone.
The blossoms have appeared in the land, the time of singing has arrived,
and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land ...
Arise my beloved, my fair one, and come away. (Shir HaShirim 2:10-13)

Ahead will be a coming away from a year-long winter. The landscape has changed, as has our perception of it. It is a time to sing, to open up our senses and to give new expression to our experience of the world. It is time to arise, to greet the dawn of a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment